A MESSAGE FROM FRED PARKER
Fred asked me to pass along his appreciation to everyone for all of the support and love that was extended to him during his time of loss of his loving wife Barbara Burney / Parker. He is thankful and grateful to be a part of the loving and caring family of Park Hill.
Ken Burdette, Principal
PARK HILL!!!! WOW!!! WHAT AN AMAZING NIGHT FOR OUR SCHOOL!!! You showed up in force, dressed in style, and ready to give back to our school! We saw the full range of stunning beauty on Saturday; from hairy chested pimps to feathered disco divas to hippy dippies to roller skating stars (oh, you know who you are). You’ve never looked better, Park Hill, and frankly, we believe you missed your calling. And dare we mention that because of your JAW DROPPING GENEROSITY, we have exceeded….drumroll, please….a RECORD BREAKING $150,000!!! Whaaaaaaat?!? And we are still counting! WAY TO GO, PARK HILL!!! We are mind blown. THANK YOU FOR STEPPING UP FOR OUR GREAT SCHOOL! Please scroll for more very important details.
A few very important auction details to note:
- Invoices have been sent, so please check your inboxes. We kindly request payment within five days. You may pay by check (payable to Park Hill PTSA) or by credit card online.
- Items are being delivered this week to your front porches and mailboxes by our auction fairies. If you don’t get everything at once, don’t fret, as we have over 350 items to distribute.
- Buy A Shares, Kids Buy A Shares, and Teacher Time recipients will be e-mailed save-the-dates and information about your event, so be on the lookout.
- Any items that did not sell or have been received post auction (restaurant gift cards are still trickling in) are going up for sale online later this week! If you weren’t able to attend the event, there are several buy a shares and kid buy a shares with space still available!
- If you have a yard sign, thank you for promoting our event! Please hold onto it until next year, even if you are a 5th grade parent. These signs cost our school about $10 each, so reuse/recycle/promote our auction! If you have old signs from last year or new signs from this year, we want to blanket our neighborhood year after year about our great event, and they don’t have dates printed on them. Timeless gems. If you don’t want yours, please contact Jake (email@example.com) or Heath (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Finally, a very heartfelt note of thanks to all who donated items, solicited businesses for our auction, to our set up/night of/clean up volunteers, to those who brought friends, neighbors, and family even if they have no direct affiliation with our school, to our sponsors, and to everyone who generously supported our school through their dollars. We are unbelievably proud of our school community and the way we can rally together when there is a little bit of boogie to be had.
On a personal note, we are beyond proud and grateful for our incredibly hard working, dedicated auction committee. While tiny in numbers, they were fierce in getting it done with gusto!! There aren’t enough kudos to adequately express our appreciation, so please help us out and thank them when you see them on the playground and in our halls.
Thank you again for another successful auction! We are Park Hill Proud!!
–Heath & Jake
ANNOUNCING OUR ANNUAL 5TH GRADE YEARBOOK COVER ART CONTEST
Park Hill is holding our annual art contest for the 2017 – 2018 yearbook cover design. This is your chance to show off your creative talent! Judges will be looking for art that shows your originality, school spirit, and a genuine effort. First place art will be showcased on the front cover while second place will be on the back cover.
- Artwork must be original and by a 5th grade student only.
- Use 8.5” by 11” paper arranged in portrait layout keeping in mind your work will be digitally scanned.
- Include 2017 – 2018 and Park Hill Elementary School.
- Please, print your name and your teacher’s name in pencil on the back.
- Submit entries in the PTSA mail slot in the front office no later than March 5.
- Good Luck!
PARK HILL WINTER / SPRING 2018 ENRICHMENT
The following Outdoor Enrichment Classes will start next week.
Monday–Street Soccer (March 5) Will meet on the Blacktop Basketball Court
Tuesday–Golf Squad (March 6) Will meet in front of the gym and will then go outside
Wednesday—Street Soccer and Mighty Movement (March 7) Street Soccer will meet on the Blacktop Basketball court and Mighty Movement will meet in front of the gym and will then go outside
Thursday—–Sports Spectacular (March 8) Will meet outside on the field
There are still spaces available so please contact the vendor immediately if you are interested.
THE 2ND GRADE DANCE / MUSIC PERFORMANCE of The Straight Line Wonder by Mem Fox is Wednesday, March 14th!!
-Kline & Orth performance is at 5:30pm (students need to report to classrooms by 5:15pm)
-Goodwin & Euser performance is at 6:30pm (students need to report to classrooms by 6:15pm)
Girls on the Run is a place where all girls can be themselves. We stretch ourselves physically, mentally, socially and emotionally. We have an innovative program that combines training for a 3.1-mile run/walk race with a fun and healthy lesson plan. This program promotes individual achievement and self-confidence. Girls gain self-esteem and learn healthy lifestyle habits while training for a 5k run/walk race.
What if I don’t like to run?
That’s ok! We use the term “running” loosely and want girls to just be themselves and have fun. Girls can run, hop, skip, speed walk or dance towards their goals. The lessons promote self-challenge instead of competition; self-worth instead of societal worth and cooperation instead of rivalry.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
Practice meets Tues, Thurs at 5:00p-6:30pm between the weeks of March 5th through May 19th.
Fee $170- (includes 20 practices, 5k entry and a t-shirt!)
- Go to www.girlsontherunrockies.org
- Click the “Register Now” button
- Choose your geographic area (Denver)
- Find and select your school in the drop down menu
- After completing the form, hit “submit”. **You will receive a confirmation email from Raceplanner. Please make sure to check your spam folder in case the email went there. If you do not receive this email, chances are you did not fully complete the registration form.
Contact Julie Dancheck at email@example.com or 303-482-5843.
PLEASE REFER TO THE COMMUNITY BOARD (ACROSS THE HALL FROM THE SCHOOL OFFICE), TO GET THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION REGARDING EVENTS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, CAMPS / ENRICHMENTS FOR STUDENTS, COMMUNITY MEETINGS, ETC.
- Finding HOPE Gala: Benefitting HopeKids Colorado – Monday, March 12, 2018 from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm at Mike Ward Maserati.
- Rocky Mountain STEAM Fest: 3 & 4, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM at the Boulder County Fairgrounds
The Rocky Mountain STEAM Fest is two fantastical days of science and arts. Every exhibitor (100+) designs a hands-on experience that lets you hack, tinker, create, build, learn, and smile. An all-ages event, STEAM Fest is mostly indoors and happens rain or shine! From drones and airplanes to Human Minecraft and robots, the tech nerds will be in heaven. And, if you’re more the artsy type – wait until you see the sewing machines, mosaic tiles, and so many other adventures to be had. http://makerbolder.com/steam
- Eurekus at the Denver Botanic Gardens: Mix, mingle, explore and create during exciting Maker Events at locations nation-wide. Our Adult & Family workshops are great fun for friends, date-nights, colleagues, singles, retirees, parents & kids. There are also exciting experiences for teachers wanting training on our projects and team building for organizations. http://www.eurekus.org/eurekus-maker-events/
- Soccer Electric Summer Camps: You can register now at: http:/www.soccerelectric.com
CAMP 1 / 5TH ANNUAL SUMMER SOCCER AND A MOVIE CAMP – June 11 – 15 @ Denver East High School and Sie Film Center
CAMP 2 / 2ND ANNUAL “CAMPLIFY” – June 18 – 22 @ McAuliffe International School / Smiley Campus
- 44th Annual Denver March Pow*Wow – March 23, 24, 25, 2018
Join Thomasina Rose Goodeagle, 2017 Denver March Powwow Princess for a special powwow weekend!
DISCOVERY LINK REGISTRATION FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR COMING SOON
Per the Discovery Link website, registration for 2018-2019 before and after school programs at all Discovery Link sites will occur:
- April 16th-27th for all returning students, their siblings and previously waitlisted families
- May 7th-11th for all new families
Park Hill School Office Staff
Office Hours 7:30 am to 3:30 pm
Main School Phone and attendance line – 720-424-4910, or download the Park Hill Elementary mobile app. and report your absence there.
Apple App Store
March 5: Outdoor Enrichment Classes Begin
March 8: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm – PTSA Meeting in Library
March 9: 8:00 am – Coffee with Ken in Panther Café
March 11: Daylight Saving Time – Turn clocks AHEAD one hour
March 12: PTSA Book Giveaway
March 13: 9:15 am – 1:30 pm – Fourth Grade (Ms. G. and Ms. Strumor) to South Platte Park
March 13: 5th Grade to Clyfford Still Museum (Ash – 9:30 am – 11:00 am, Mills – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm)
March 14: Second Grade Music / Dance Performance
March 15: 5th Grade to Clyfford Still Museum (Cowen – 9:30 am – 11:00 am, Shockley – 11:30 am – 1:00 pm)
March 15: 9:30 am – 1:00 pm – 5th Grade Mills to American Museum of Art
March 16: NO ECE CLASSES – Professional Day for ECE Staff
March 19 – 22: CMAS / PARCC Language Arts (ELA) Testing for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade
March 21: 9:15 am – 1:30 pm – Fourth Grade (Ms. Seward and Mr. Corcoran) to South Platte Park
March 22: 10:00 am – 11:45 am – Kindergarten and First Grade Opera Field Trip to Montview
March 26 – 30: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS – Spring Break
April 2: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS – Planning / Assessment Day
April 3: STUDENTS RETURN TO SCHOOL
April 3: 9:15 am – 12:30 pm – 5th Grade to Water Treatment Plant
April 4: 9:15 am – 12:30 pm – 5th Grade to Water Treatment Plant
April 10 – 12: CMAS / PARCC Math Testing for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade
April 17 – 19: CMAS / PARCC Social Studies / Science Testing for 4th and 5th
April 18: 4th Grade Music Concert
April 19: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm – PTSA Meeting in Library
April 27: Shakespeare Festival